Monday 29 April 2013

A most overwhelming response

Last night I made the decision to share this blog with 'the world'. That means that instead of simply informing a few close friends and family members, I posted a Facebook status with my blog link for everybody I'm linked with to see. This decision was made purely because I felt that enough time had passed since this program began and that there were enough people who were aware of my changing lifestyle that it made sense to let anybody who wanted to know, see what this weight loss is like first hand.

I have to say that the response I received was completely overwhelming. My readership went up over 800% in a matter of minutes and there are people reading from as far afield as Russia and Canada, The Netherlands and South Africa. This was most unexpected. Within 20 minutes I was receiving emails and text messages saying that my honesty and openness when discussing very personal details was an inspiration and absolutely fascinating to those who had never really put too much thought in to it.

The reason I had held off from releasing this information to all of my acquaintances is because I was worried of the response I'd receive. To some extent this worry was founded when a friend was fraped with a less than favourable comment on my Facebook status. I won't lie, I sat in my room staring at the computer screen wishing for the world to swallow me up and thinking "is this what it will always be like? Even if I lose weight will I ALWAYS be seen as the fat one?" After persuading myself that I had more dignity than to cry and more will power than to munch all of the chocolate and cheese I could lay my hands on, I realised it was not worth it. At dinner this evening this was all pushed home by my friend Piers who was terribly intrigued by the fact I'd written a blog and was 'fascinated' by the content. He was perhaps the last person I'd imagine calling this blog 'inspirational' and yet he did. Simply being told that someone thinks you make a difference is all the motivation you could need when thoughts get dark.

I started this blog because I wanted to inspire people, I wanted to be honest about what it's like and I wanted others in the same situation to know that they are not alone in their feelings. After the response that I got last night the last thing I want to do is give up or allow myself to feel like a loser when so many people have been so encouraging and so encouraged. Ultimately it comes down to remembering that this journey is for me and that anyone who takes an issue, whether real or imagined, is not the definition of who I am.

As Eleanor Roosevelt said:
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"

And finally, to the person who made the inappropriate comment in the first place. I forgive you. But next time I will go Jackie Chan on your ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment